Thursday, November 7, 2013

Applying to Peace Corps: The Process

Here is Part 2 of my videos on the Peace Corps application process.  I've heard from some PCVs that it operates a little different now, so please understand that this is 100% based off of my own application, and that you may have a very different experience.


I'm in Asuncion this weekend for my G's despedida.  It's basically the last time we'll all be together before people start boarding planes back to the United States.  Three have already left, and many many more will be leaving next week.  There will only be a few of us that will be in Paraguay for the actual Close of Service Ceremony on December 6th.

I don't judge anyone for leaving early.  Everyone has their reasons.  Some people are going home to spend time with family before the holidays, some are taking some time to travel around South America before going back home for Christmas.  I just know that if I were to leave early, I would always know that I left before my time was up.  I committed myself to 27 months -- I'm completing 27 months.  It's always been important to me to finish something after it's started.

It's sad to watch everyone leave though.  It's definitely bittersweet.  I consider G37 to be my family in away.  These people have shared a shocking, beautiful, sometimes horrifying and challenging 2 years with me.  We've had our ups and downs.  We've fought with each other, traveled with each other, picked pique out of each other's feet... These people are not just normal friends to me.

I'll write more later.  They're not gone yet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bryce, sorta random but I got off on a PC tangent this AM and found your site. Thought I'd share some personal insight. My PC group was around 65 - we covered most fields except Ed. I'd say we were, for the most part, very tight. A significant portion dropped out over the two years (for the myriad of reasons you already know), but half or so COS’d.

My situation was unique in that I worked on a drinking water project sponsored by the Danish government along with one other volunteer from my group. He opted to come back under contract, but needed a break after PC. I ended up on a mini 6-8 week contract post-COS to cover the gap while he was back in the States.

Long story short, it was really sad when everyone in my group literally up and left me behind. Sure, there were other PCVs but anyone who supported me for two years, and from day one, was gone. My point, however, is that I was able to see my host country in a new light being the last to leave. I was able to get a different sort of closure during my last few weeks in-country. Paraguay will likely be a central part of your life FOREVER, and leaving is generally tough no matter how desperate you are to get home.

That’s all I wanted to say. I found those extra weeks, sans “my group,” was actually beneficial. No one likes to say goodbye, but I think it actually worked out in my favor.

An ex-PCV, Liberia, West Africa