Friday, July 13, 2012

A lot of things...




Things I love:
-I finally got water installed near my house!
-I bought a space heater, and it changes everything.
-I can download the Blaine and Allyson morning show from 96.3 in Detroit.
-Mate. I'm totally on board with it now, and it's saving me from using all of my Starbucks coffee.
-Norah Jones. I don't know why I ever stopped listening to her.

Things I don't love:
-Cows
-My Refrigerator's incessant need to be defrosted

Things I'm eating probably way too much of:
-Extra-Cheesy Macariceroni. That's what I call it, anyways.  I make up a box of mac and cheese and throw some extra queso in with some rice... it's ridiculously good and cheesy.

-Semi-Italian Veggie-Pasta.  Veggies, tomato sauce, carne de soja, noodles, and parmesan cheese.  See video below.
-Grilled cheese sandwiches
-Pancakes.  Can one really ever eat too many pancakes?  I think not.


Things I probably should never admit:
-I haven't officially bathed in 8 days.

That's right people... 8 days. As Sara would say- "Ew!"



Now, don't get me wrong I have been kind of hygienic.  I'm still brushing my teeth and I have washed my hair and covered the "triangle areas" a couple of times.  It's just sooooo cold, even if I heat up the water!  It would be different if I had walls or something when I cleaned up, but I don't have anywhere other than my porch right now to bathe and it's kind of... exposed.  I have to wait until the sun goes down and by then it is like 40 degrees.  Now that I have a water line, my next project is going to be a shower with hopefully an electrical hook-up so I can have warm water.  Oh life in the campo... the things I took for granted at home.

But honestly this has been a huge week for me.  The space heater makes mornings and evenings much more pleasant. I don't have to wear 4 layers and bury myself under blankets anymore.  And with water so close, dishes and watering my garden are a breeze.  Maybe my garden will actually start to produce some vegetables now that it's getting watered!

So because I've let things build up, I have a lot to share.  Here's a couple of videos from earlier this month with the 4th of July party I went to in Asuncion.

I'm really starting to focus most of my energy into my garden.  I spent all of today gathering mulching materials and working with my composting.  Earlier this week I prepared a liquid compost that will be ready in a couple of weeks.  I'm sure I'll do a video on how that works later on when it's done stewing.  Because things over the last few months in there haven't been going so well, I'm really trying to do what I can to improve the soil and make my management even more intensive.  Honestly, it's kind of embarrassing for me to call myself an Ag Extensionist and have such an ugly garden. :( Womp womp.

No comments: