Saturday, May 19, 2012

Happy 200!

It's hard for me to believe, but this is my 201st post!  I kind of wasted my 200th on that Sweedish guy at the hotel, so I'm going to celebrate it now.

I started this blog back in March of 2007, right as I was beginning to think about studying abroad.  This blog holds the records of many of my adventures... Camping trips, study abroad in the Philippines, trips to California and Washington, life while working for the USDA, and now Peace Corps.  I was looking back at a few posts, and I had to laugh at this one: http://bryceintransition.blogspot.com/2007/05/365.html.  Gas at $3.65 and I was having a heart attack... my how the world changes.

As I continued to look through old posts, I had to come back to the title of this blog.  It's not just the world that has changed since 2007, it's myself as well... always in transition.  In a lot of ways, my worldview when I started this thing was pretty limited to mostly life at Michigan State.  These days, I've lived in two countries other than the US, had a full-time job with a salary, gained 5 nieces... life changes so fast!

I received an email from a close friend of mine today, and it was about how rarely life turns out the way that we planned it.  I never thought I would be in the Peace Corps, or that I would be living anywhere close to South America--ever.  I also thought I would have everything figured out.  I had all these plans of a job and living in a big city somewhere.  I also thought that all of my friends would be around me all the time, and no one would ever leave... Now we're all scattered all over the world (literally), and I've come to realize that even though I'd made these plans, I didn't even really know what I wanted out of life in the first place.

I'm turning 26 in a couple of weeks, and I can say that while I love the unpredictability and excitement of not having life turn out how I planned, it sometimes can be a little frustrating.  But gratefully I have one major thing in my life that remains constant-- God.  My friend sent me this verse from Ecclesiastes 11:5- "As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things."  God has His plan for my life, and I shouldn't be so concerned about directing it.  So much of making decisions in life is just giving in to the Truth and choosing the options that you know are right. 

I'm very close to my 8-month mark in Paraguay, which is pretty close to being 1/3 of the way through my service.  It's moving insanely fast.  I think it's good that I'm here though.  I've wondered, at times, if my being in Paraguay is somewhat spiritually destructive for me because I don't go to church and I don't have a regular Bible Study group that I fellowship with on a weekly basis.  One things that I'm learning is that God wants me to learn how to sit in the passenger seat for a while.  He wants me to learn how to stop and smell the roses (or in my case, drink terere and enjoy the view).  I'm learning some pretty valuable things here that had I stayed in the day-to-day grind of full-time work I would not be learning.

So, hurray for 200 posts, and let's hope for 200 more!

1 comment:

Christie said...

I totally get you on the passenger side comment. I've had to sit out a lot since my accident, and it's hard to shift into being responsible for my own faith rather than getting fed from church or a group or something else I'm USED to. But it's a great opportunity for growth... :)

Happy 201st post!!