Monday, May 7, 2012

Garden Update


The huerta is finally planted!  Now all there is to do with it is water and wait!  I'm very excited to get my hands on some home-grown green onions, peas, carrots, etc.  I really can't wait to have the cilantro so I can make myself some bean burritos!  Oh Chipotle, how I miss you.

In other exciting news, I had an extremely productive meeting with my community contact this morning.  I was able to see that the women are indeed working on their gallineros (chicken coops) which I had previously been concerned about, and was also able to acquire some land for a demo-plot.  Having a place where I can demonstrate new techniques and experiment with cropping systems is a HUGE part of my service here as an extensionist.  I have a lot of projects in the works right now, but cleaning out the demo-plot and planting some abonos verdes may bump to the top of the list.  Because of my new responsibilities as Groundskeeper for the Peace Corps Seed Bank, I need to familiarize myself with all the seeds and methods of planting/cutting for abonos verdes, and my demo-plot is going to be very instrumental with that.

What else have I been up to since returning to site?  Well, admittedly I took a couple of days to myself where I read, played The Sims, etc... I've also been eating tons of mandarinas and talking a lot with my host-brothers.  Those two crack me up!  They ask some really bizarre questions.  Things we've discussed over the last few days: Charlie Sheen, September 11, Jennifer Lopez, why the F word is a bad word (despite it being in all of their music), the differences between crazy and weird... That last one is something I'm still working on with them.  They both think the other is crazy, when really they're both just weird, haha.  And I mean that in a good way.

My next blog post will probably be about our VAC meeting on Wednesday.  We're having an empenada cook-off, so hopefully there will be some creative choices that I can get recipes for.  I'll try to remember my camera.  I've been forgetting it a lot these days.

Also, I just want to give a shout out to my sister, who just had a new baby girl on Friday.  I'm really grateful that things went smoothly, and I'll be looking forward to meeting her when I go home for Christmas!

No comments: