Monday, April 30, 2012

Still out of site...

I miss my site.  I really really miss my site.  I was talking with my friend Emily tonight about how I just want to go home.  Which is weird, because it's only been recently that I've started to refer to my house in SJB as home.  Michigan will always been my HOME home.  I lived there for twenty-five years, and I will forever be a Michigander that listens to Kid Rock, drinks bottles of pop, and occasionally drops the accidental Canadian accent on words like "sorry."  Oh Tim Hortons, what I would do for a box of TimBits right now...

But yes, for the time being Paraguay has become home.  I've built a network of friends that have become a surrogate family for me while I'm here.  I have some younger siblings, some older siblings, and sometimes a mom and a dad... though I do seem to be the grandpa of the group a lot of the time, haha.  Someone needs to be the responsible old crotchety one every once in a while.  I also have a great house with an awesome view and a job that keeps me busy.

So yes, I miss home, and if everything goes according to plan I should get to go home tomorrow.  It's been a long couple of weeks out of site.  Last week was a jam-packed training session full of medical and security reminders, tours of research institutes and universities, and powerpoints of permaculture gardening and composting.  Lots of stuff going on, eh?

I did get a couple of days off to see my friend Laura's site in Ybu near San Bernardino.  It was so beautiful!  She has a pretty clear view of Lake Ypacarai from her house.  It's amazing how different sites are from volunteer to volunteer.  The people, culture, and location all have strong influences on the work that we do in our communities.


Now I'm back in Asuncion, and I should be in bed because it's going to be an early morning run to the office so that I can get to the Training Center for these LPIs.  Fun stuff!  Apparently tomorrow is the Paraguayan Labor Day, so there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not the buses will be running tomorrow or not.  Hopefully they will!  I'd really like to sleep in my own bed tomorrow...

1 comment:

Manuel said...

I remember the first time I called my site home. It was odd, I didn't know how to feel about it.

But, it's good to know that here in Paraguay,so far from home, and foreign, there is place welcoming and comforting that one can adopt.