Friday, March 23, 2012

Salto Cristal, Food 'n Stuff

Haha Food 'n Stuff.

A full week and no new blog updates!?  That's so unlike me!  Let me fix that.

Last Monday I headed down to La Colmena and met up with Maggie and her VAC, Elijah, and Mario to visit one of the tourist attractions in our area--Salto Cristal.  This place is absolutely incredible!
It was a day of laying out in the sun, swimming, and enjoying a day out of site.  First, we had to take a truck ride about forty minutes outside of La Colmena into the campo.  Then, we had to scale the tricky landscape to get to the bottom of the canyon where this river was located.  It was tough work!  There's not a real trail... You have to look where you're going because it's very steep and very rocky.

But again, totally worth it!  The water was so cold and refreshing.


In other news, I'm still plugging away at my fence.  I have one side left to do, and then I'll be able to double-dig, create my tablons, and then plant!  I'm excited to get the garden going!  Very soon after finishing the fence I plan on installing a water line so that the garden is easier to water.

I'm also in the process of starting my Community Needs Assessment, which is a document that I create for my community as a means of identifying potential projects and to bring to light the present resources that already exist in the community.  I feel like my NRCS training has set me up well for that, as I know where to look for natural resources in soil, water, air, plants, animals, and humans (oh, and now plus energy, right?).  I'm excited to get going on doing my interviews and stuff because I feel like it will also help give me direction on what I might be working on for the next couple of years.  A rough draft is due to my program director in Asuncion at the end of April.

And lastly, here's a random video of me cooking for the first time in my house.  I've had it saved for a while but never posted it.  Nothing fancy.

1 comment:

Manuel said...

Salto Cristal is probably one of the most beautiful places that I've been to.... like, on earth. If it wasn't for that sketchy ass trail pass that random person's house that charges you, it would be great!