Sunday, March 11, 2012

Be vewy vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbits

I never thought I would want rabbits.  I'm trying to rid myself of rodents in my house, so why would I want to bring in others?  Well, I'm starting to see that it's a good potential project to encourage livestock diversification in my site, as well as bring something new to my community, but I'm getting ahead of myself...

Friday I left early early early in the morning to catch the 7AM bus out of Ybycui to Asuncion, where I was meeting up with my usuals, Mario, Elijah, and Maggie.  We took care of some office business (library books, mail, etc.), then headed off to the Embassy for a couple of glorious hours in the pool.  After that, it was dinner (with chili cheese fries!) at Bolsi.

Just outside of Ybycui while walking in the morning just before sunrise.
The next morning, after enjoying a delicious breakfast at the hotel, I jumped on a bus to Carapegua (about 40 minutes north of Ybycui on the bus) to attend a workshop on rabbit raising that another volunteer was doing.  We learned about feeding, mating, and killing rabbits.  I even got to help kill one and then skin and clean it!  I'm probably going to end up with a few rabbits at my house just as a personal project, and maybe a few people in my community will be interested in the future.  That's the hope, anyways.



I'm headed back to site tomorrow after some grocery shopping.  Then it's on to my fence and maybe even getting the water installed finally... we'll see!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm reminded how my mom's old school Joy of Cooking has instructions on how to clean a rabbit. I was going to offer to scan in the pages and email them to you, but it looks like you've got it all under control. Which is actually pretty scary. :o)

Hope all is going well!