Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Waiting...

Patience has never been a strength of mine.  I don't like to wait for things.  At home I had to wait for things all the time.  Lines at the U-Scan at Meijer made me crazy, getting every red light on Stadium Rd. between my office was torture, and the worst--traffic jams on US-23N.  Ann Arborites know what I'm talking about. The worst free-way in the world.

So I don't know why I'm surprised that I have to wait for things in Paraguay.  Waiting for my electricity to be installed, waiting to move into my own house, waiting to start projects... Everywhere we are we're always waiting for something.

This leads me to how life is really all about waiting.  Waiting with anticipation.  My entire life is spent looking toward Christ's return, when He will come establish His perfect kingdom and the suffering and pain will all disappear.  Waiting isn't always a bad thing... it's when the hope disintegrates that we're left unsatisfied.

Those of you who pray, please be in prayer for my family.  These last couple of years have hit us all pretty hard regarding health and stress.  We're waiting for some relief... for things to stabilize.  When I decided to join Peace Corps, I knew that leaving wouldn't make these stressful things go away, and I certainly wasn't trying to run from them.  But now that I'm here, I feel a little bit separated from everything, and it's frustrating to me that I can't talk with my sisters or my parents as often as I'd like.

God has His plan for what is going on in the lives of my parents, my sisters, and myself.  It's all about trusting in that perfect plan and allowing things to happen without losing faith.  My grandmother passed away around Thanksgiving, and now people at home are having serious surgeries, having babies, changing jobs, moving... there's a lot going on and I'm just here in South America, reading books and texting like a crazy person.

An added benefit of a slower schedule is that I have hours to pray every day. God has been working in my heart in huge ways just from the extra time spent together during long walks around my community.  If any of you are looking for prayer, please feel free to leave requests in the comment page or email me.  I'd consider it an honor to pray for you.  Not only does it keep me in touch with God, but it keeps me in touch with the realities of home.  I get a lot of "everything is good!" or other generalizations like that from people.  Get specific!  You're my friends and family, and I want to know what is REALLY going on with all of you.

So as I move on in this experience, I plan on trying to continue my waiting with a positive attitude--with hope.  Each new day brings new sunshine, new opportunities, and new mercy from God.  I hope you all see His blessings in your life daily, and come to trust His plan.  It's not easy, but I'm getting there! :D


No comments: