Saturday, November 5, 2011

Che cherera... Braulio?

"Chéveguarã Braulio Iñaña." Meaning "I think Braulio is bad" in Guaraní. All of my professors have said this at least once in my academic life, and it only took five weeks for it to happen here. To clarify, Paraguayans have a hard time with my name, so I was given the name Braulio by my language professor, Diosnel. Bryce comes out sounding like either "Bl...iiiiice" or "Breeeesay" and most people just laugh when I introduce myself, so Braulio it is. When in Paraguay, take on a Paraguayan name.

Guaraní class is a good time. Diosnel is an awesome instructor, my classmates are fun, and in general things happen without too many distractions. It's only on some days where things get a little carried away, and it's possible I may be the reason for some of that. Hence, chéveguarã Braulio Iñaña. haha.

I drew this rabbit on the board because we were talking about parts of the body and were scheduled to work with rabbits (tapiti) during out tech session that afternoon (ka'aru). See, you're all learning Guaraní right along with me! Can I sign somewhere that I'm fulfilling one of the Peace Corps mission goals? "Helping to promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans." Check! Mission accomplished. ;)

In case you can't read it in the photo, here's a few useful phrases in Guaraní:

Che rekaka ne = My poop stinks.
Ne katî = Your underarms stink.
Mba'epa. Reykuã porã = What? I smell good.
Ne akãne = You're stupid.

All useful, right?  Haha. Good times with the Guarani.
It's been another big week of tech sessions. Chickens, pigs, rabbits, making thatch roofs... BUSY.
The weeks are flying by these days. Next week is our Long Field Practice, which I talk about a little bit in the video below. I really don't know that much about it yet, other than that I will be gone from Tuesday to Friday next week. And then, WEEK SEVEN! Week seven is exciting because it means interviews with our APCD and then site selection. Let's face it, this entire training period has led up to site selection. I (as well as every other trainee) really want to know where I will be living for the next two years of my life. The waiting is almost over!

1 comment:

Aryn Shillair said...

So how do you pronounce your new name? You should say it on a you tube video or something. :)
I enjoyed talking to you Saturday! I hope your visit is going well and we are praying for your interview next week.
Rayne and I got home with no issues. Now we're just adjusting to the time change which is taking awhile.
Love you!