Friday, October 21, 2011

Psalm 15

Lord, who may dwell in your sanctuary?
Who may live on Your holy hill?

He whose walk is blameless
and who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from his heart
and has no slander on his tongue,
who does his neighbor no wrong
and casts no slur on his fellowman,
who despises a vile man
but honors those who fear the Lord,
who keeps his oath
even when it hurts,
who lends his money without usury
and does not accept a bribe against the innocent.

He who does these things
will never be shaken.

I’ve been reading Psalms, Proverbs, I Samuel, and Ephesians while I’m here in Paraguay, and occasionally I come across something that I think to myself “Hey, this would be great to memorize.”  So I’m working on this Psalm right now.  I may touch on it later, but Psalm 16 is also excellent.  The life of David and his struggle against Saul and his flesh is really fascinating, and it’s been way too long since I read through it all. 

David was chosen by God to lead Israel, but then had to spend years of his life in hiding.  Even when he got to rule, he was always making mistakes.  It’s been really refreshing to devote some study to a man who knew how to pour out his heart to God and walk with Him. 

These 27 months in Paraguay are exciting because I’m looking to challenge myself socially, emotionally, professionally, and spiritually.  Moving to another country where everything is brand new is a real opportunity to do some self-evaluation and reflection.  If I’m looking to make some changes in my life, now is the time to do it!  David is such a key example because when he faltered in his decisions, he always came back to God and remained faithful, unlike so many of the people who are used as negative examples in the Old Testament.  I also want to have a whole heart for God.

Thank you to all who have been in prayer for me over the last few weeks.  I’m continually blessed to know how many people love me and are invested not only in this experience in Paraguay, but in my life in general.  As I spend more time here somewhat isolated from the Church, I am constantly reminded that though this world may be a big place, I can still have fellowship through the use of email, facebook, and Skype.  Even though it may not be on a regular basis, please know that it means a lot to me that all of you care so much to contact me.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been sick this week, but I find myself a little bit on the lonely side right now and it’s been scripture and prayer that have kept me grounded.  Please pray that I can continue to be a witness to my fellow trainees as well as my host family and the community I live in.

I’ll post later about my Peace Corps Volunteer site visit in Recta.  It was an adventure!  I stayed with a current volunteer named Jonathan that is working in Ag Extension in a tiny community out in the hills of Paraguay.  I’ll be posting pictures and videos of that experience maybe early next week.

Until then, enjoy your weekend!

3 comments:

Aryn Shillair said...

I am praying that God will continue to give you His perspective. I'm thankful that you are choosing to run to Him. I'm sorry you're not feeling well! I look forward to hearing about your week.
I've been doing a study on the names of God and it has been excellent! I am learning so much about God's overall majesty, holiness, power, and authority. I think more now than ever I think of Him as "God". Not just my friend. Maybe I'll put together some notes to share with you. It's been really good. We love you and pray for you daily! Rayne talks about you often. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey bro, lifting you up this week as I start my travels back to Germany. Know you are always in my prayers. Keep up the fight. Blessings

Chase

Dayna said...

You know I'm praying for you and will keep the e-mails coming. Yes, thank God for his grace and the life of David. Psalm 8 personally got me through the month of May this year.