Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Paraguay: Why I'm Going

Uh... hi.  It's been a while, eh? 

I wrote a few months ago that my life would be going through some big changes, and that was no joke.  The last year or so has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride for me.  I have made some pretty huge decisions regarding my career and future, and though a long process, has been extremely rewarding.

At the end of September I will be boarding a plane and flying to Paraguay, where I will be living for the following 27 months.  I need to be careful what I write here, because in order to write about what I'm doing with the agency I will be working for, there's supposed to be some kind of disclaimer on this blog about what I represent and all that fun stuff.  I don't have that info yet, so I'm not getting too specific.

I am excited about the future though!  I have many challenges ahead of me, including mastering my Spanish and learning Guarani.  This is truly the first time I have proactively pursued something different--something that didn't just fall into my lap.  So much of my life over the past 25 years has been handed to me, and I've had so many choices be made for me just by circumstances.  Really, I've just be walking through open doors.  Which is great!  Don't get me wrong.  It's great that the doors are open.  But there comes a point in a man's life where he has to ask himself: "What do I want out of life?  Where do I want to go, and how do I get there?"  It's only been over the last year and a half or so that I've been asking myself these questions.

Spiritually, God has been working on me for a while; trying to get me to grow up.  His design for our lives is not just to stumble through open doors.  Following God demands intentionality and an element of risk, which I have refused to take up to this point.  My decision to work abroad was not made lightly.  I chose to go after months of prayer and reflection, and after consulting with wise friends and family.  I've had enough of walking through random doors.  I want to identify what I believe is God's will for my life and where I can best serve Him, and go there.  I've done enough wandering.

Working as an Ag Extension agent in Paraguay is not only going to be an adventure, but it will provide me with a whole new set of useful practical and professional skills.  I'm excited to meet new people, learn about different customs, and ultimately grow in patience and understanding of the world we live in.  Ever since my first international experience in Panama, it has been important to me to learn how to see our world with a global perspective.

And lastly, living in the Philippines just ignited a real passion in me for international development.  The opportunity to work with people who can actually benefit from my skills and knowledge is something I take very seriously.  Food and Agriculture is the central foundation for any economy, and if I can help to better the quality of life for anyone, I want to do it.  I got into agriculture to work in development- to give people the chance for a better life.

Please pray for me as I embark on this journey.  I'm older/wiser since I lived in the Philippines, but this is going to be a challenge on a whole new level.  I have a lot of work to do before I even leave, and much to learn about the country and people of Paraguay.  I'm confident that God will use this time in my life to grow me as a person, and I just need to make sure that I am open, humble, and positive so that He can work both in me and through me.

P.S. Due to circumstances, RunBryceRun is on hiatus.  Fitness is still super-important to me, but I doubt I'll be able to maintain two blogs at one.  Obviously even one is pushing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you brycer! I am excited for you and proud you are no longer wandering. Yay for direction. -danae hoppe-