Friday, September 4, 2009

It's been a while...

This blog has slowly crept back into travel-blog status. The only time I ever write anything is when I'm going somewhere.

Tomorrow morning I leave for a long weekend in Dallas. It should be fun to see my nieces; they're walking now and much more energetic than they were just a couple of months ago. Without skype, I think my family would be very different than it is now. It's amazing how just seeing each other face-to-face fairly often can help hold everyone together. Now that Dad is back from his stint in Washington DC, we're only spread over three states. I'm not sure how things will change now that Aryn had her baby last week. The grandchildren are popping out right and left, so Mom and Dad are barely ever home.

Things are starting to get interesting around Ann Arbor. Students have been moving in slowly, but with football season kicking off (pun! ...groan) this weekend, traffic is going to become a problem, especially because the entire state of Michigan is under construction.

I'm really blessed that I was able to find a church here in Ann Arbor with such great teaching AND great people. One of my focuses for the Fall Season is to find a place where I can serve in the church. That is one of the things I miss most about South. Unfortunately I am at that age where it can be difficult to find a niche. The youth groups are looking for volunteers... but I'm not so sure it's a great idea for me to be working with young people, lol. But I don't know, maybe it would be good for me.

My small group is in kind of a transitional stage right now. The entire church is starting a new series in a couple of weeks, and it's kind of the "re-launching" for small groups. We've dropped from 6 down to 4 in the last couple of months due to people moving for jobs, so hopefully we get some new people. God has allowed that group to be very intstrumental in my life here, and I am incredibly thankful for all of them. Friends have always been a key part of my life, both socially and spiritually, so it's great to have that second family away from home.

No comments: