Saturday, February 14, 2009

Change/Convert/Develop

I've been thinking a lot lately about the subject of transition. It's been the title of my blog for a while now, but I recently have been struck with the profound meaning that this particular word has in my life. The whole concept of transitioning from one phase to another plays a part in every living organism, every atmospheric cycle, every form of matter. Our world has been, is currently, and always will be in a state of continuous movement--Everything changes. Whether it's winter into spring, plant matter turning to soil, water evaporating, growing older--everything is destined to morph and develop into something else.

I've been having a lot of conversations with friends about change. New places to live, new friends, marriage, babies, new jobs... To be honest, I've always sort of held a grudge against change. That is why I chose the word to be my blog title. It is my most significant fear, and often plays a part in the decisions that I make on a daily basis. The idea of "fixing anything that isn't broken" or "ruining what we've got" is just very unappealing to me.

But you know what? What a lousy way to live! I find it interesting that the single thing that does not change in this messed up universe is the only PERFECT part of it--God. God's character and plan have been the same forever before, and will remain forever after. Obviously, God being that one Constant is enough. He created this world for new experience, new ways to glorify Himself. Fighting change is fighting God's plan in a way...

So now for some application, which I know we all love. I'm living in a new town, with a new job, trying to find a new church where I can meet new friends. NONE of those things are comfortable to me at all. I have quite a few friends in this similar situation. Some are coming out of bad break-ups, some are just starting new families, some have moved across the country (and the world!)--the important thing is that WE REMEMBER what it is that we all have in common. God is that constant, who provides direction, peace, and fulfillment--even when we're totally convinced we've messed up our lives for good.

Now, I know there are a few specific people who actually read this blog:
-Laura and Mercedes: Enjoy the heck out of Thailand/England. I love reading about your adventures, and I am confident that both of you will capitalize on your experience abroad and learn from it. I hope that God revealing to you the constant reliability that only HE can provide. I learned that lesson in the Philippines, and it's way too easy to forget here in the US.

-Danae: You're in a boat similar to mine. But you're home. I have complete confidence that you're doing what you need to do. You've always been good at networking and meeting new people. Just remember to stay open minded to opportunities that may come your way. You never know where they might take you.

-John: You can climb in my red boat if you'd like. But you're right--I think your blue boat is probably better. No one knows what I'm talking about, but you get it. =D

-Katie?: I'm not sure if she's still reading this or not...but good luck with that marriage thing. I'm not going to try to give you marital advice. Good luck with that. =D I just want to remind you that even though you're in IOWA, and when things get a little weird and you're tired of looking at corn and old barns--God has you there for a specific reason. I hope that you can find a place in your town where He can use you to serve Him like I know you want to.

If anyone else actually reads this, I'm sorry I didn't mention you. As a general rule for everyone--seek God and His kingdom above all things. If you don't know or believe in God, I'd encourage you to truly examine your views on life and what your purpose on Earth is. In this world of ever-changing circumstances and uncertainties, let me tell you--it's absolutely amazing to have that solid foundation, that constant, unchanging force in your life! And it can't be found anywhere else than in God.

2 comments:

laura said...

hey bryce,

good post! i am definitely learning exactly what you're written about. i find myself so often thinking about how much my life is different, or things that have changed since i left, but the one thing i continue to depend on is how UNchanging God is. it's nice to be able to depend on his faithfulness and find security in his will for my life.

no matter what "transitions" we may go through, we must see them as God's way of drawing us closer to him. sometimes that means being separated from the life we once knew. other times, it's not a physical separation, but more of a mental one. meaning a transition that calls us to change our focus or priorities. ultimately, we can be joyful and have hope that although transitions mean change, it also means more opportunity to glorify God and become disciplined in depending on Him for all things.

i'm excited that you're in a season of transition. please continue to share with us your thoughts because they are very encouraging. i'm praying for you!

p.s. the creepy hands at the White Temple can be attributed to the post-modern interpretation of the temple creator/designer. my guess is that they represent a fallen culture. inside the temple building was a mural portraying hell, and it pretty much summed up western culture on a wall. what made the hands even creepier was that one finger nail, on each pair of hands was painted red. it was bizarre. so yeah, that is the white temple in a nut shell. the pics are pretty cool though.

Danae Mowry said...

through all of these transitions I have been through, GR to state, state to detroit, detroit to GR (sigh), God keeps showing me the same roles I fit into. It's exactly what you said: making new friends, and networking. But also being a leader in a good, healthy way. I have always viewed leadership for me as a bad thing. It's too controlling, it's too bossy and inconsiderate. Last night a friend explained to me how it's a gift to be a leader. hows it's a positive thing. And it's a blessing that God keeps showing me who I am in His will in all of these transitions. Only now am I starting to get who I consistently am, and how I consistently treat God (in good and bad ways). If anything transitions show us who we are, but not at the same scale of us learning who God is.
Thanks for knowing me. I will continue to read your posts.
Happy presidents day tomorrow. :)