Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It's starting to hit me...

I had my last class period for Plant Physiology yesterday. My last lab report was turned in, and I don't have to go back until next Tuesday, when I have both my lab and lecture exams. Then I'll be done with physiology FOREVER! =D

It' starting to sink in that things are wrapping up here. I went for a walk last night before dinner and spent some time reflecting, and I think I've learned a lot. I'll post more on that closer in a couple weeks though. Two weeks from tomorrow... I can hardly believe it! :-O


I had one of the most hilarious conversations I have ever had on Monday. My humanities professor, Dr. Zafaralla, likes to single me out in front of the class every five seconds, and compare the Philippines with the United States. I used to get annoyed by it because I got embarrassed, but I think I've learned how to sort of make it entertaining for the rest of the class, so I really don't mind anymore.

Anyways, we were discussing the role that rice has played in Filipino history and culture, and here's how the converstation went:

(he calls me "Mr. Bryce" because I'm 4 or 5 years older than the rest of the class, haha)
Dr. Z: Mr. Bryce, have you noticed we eat a lot of rice?
Me: Uh, yeah. Definitely.
Dr. Z: In the United States do you eat rice?
Me: Not nearly as often as I do here.
Dr. Z: You Americans eat mashed potatoes.
Me: Well, yeah, sometimes.
Dr. Z: I'm a Filipino, I eat rice. You are American, you eat mashed potatoes. You give me mashed potatoes, and I'll smash your face!" [BIG smile]

HAHA. I didn't really know what to do at this point, but the whole class just busted out laughing. The only thing I could think of to say was "OK sir," and laugh. You have to SEE this guy in order to understand how bizarre the entire semester with him has been. I think I might have a picture somewhere, but he LOOKS like something out of a comic strip.

This is the guy who always says "Did you know dat?" and "oooh boy by George!" and asks his students where they learned to use a computer. I find it hysterical that he really genuinely doesn't know the difference between a laptop and a projector. I'm serious. =D

So that's it for now. I'll do another video sometime soon I think. People seem to like those, even if they don't leave comments. >:o(

*hint hint* =D

3 comments:

The Wandering Wolverine said...

Okay, the smash your face comment is hilarious.

Hey, I thought of something today...you aren't graduating, so that probably means you aren't going to be a senior on senior night! Geez! Cheater.

The Wandering Wolverine said...

HA, I'll see what I can do.

Anonymous said...

I had a few minutes to catch up on the videoes and blog narratives. I was surprised that you did a video in the AM! You so sociable at that time of day. Yes, I believe you have learned a lot. It will be fun to hear the sdtories when you return. Two weeks!

Dad