Thursday, March 6, 2008

Early morning...

Please keep the Philippines in mind when you pray. Things have been building for a while now, and I don't know if the political issues will be resolved before I leave.

There are a lot of people here who don't like the president here (Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, often referred to as GMA). They're calling for her removal from office, and there have been all sorts of rallies on campus and picketers protesting in Manila. I am not sure what the issues are, but the statue on campus has looked like this since Monday:

I'm kind of surprised the Administration hasn't taken that stuff down. I don't watch much news here, so you guys at home might have a better idea of what is going on than I do.

Also, there has been a Typhoid outbreak in Calamba, and it is spreading to Los Banos. I'm not too concerned, because I've been vaccinated and I don't drink the water here, or drinks with ice in them. Mostly bottled water and bottled soft drinks. BUT, restaurants are no longer serving fruit shakes or iced coffees, which is kind of sad. No more kalamansi shakes for me. :o(

For those of you that don't know, Typhoid is a water-borne disease, and it can be pretty awful. There are over 1,000 cases of it in Calamba, and their hospital is packed out. Frisco and Vangie (the people who host our small group) have a niece in the hospital with it right now. :o\

It's very treatable, but it's just sort of scary when there are so many cases popping up. I'm going to be very careful up until the time I leave.

Sorry if this one is negative... It's just what's going on. Have a good weekend!

No comments: