Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Fertilizing in Victoria

This has been a good last couple of weeks for my internship. I'm excited that I'm getting to try a few new things and have some interesting topics for my presentation next fall.

Fertilizing here is WAY different than in Michigan. There was zero machinery involved, and 5 of us working in the field. We did 8 plots (which is less than an acre), and it took us about 3 hours. In the US, it probably would have been done in less than 20 minutes.

The "equipment" that we used was honestly a plastic bottle cap, a bin of granular urea (mixed with something, I couldn't tell), and a sharp piece of bamboo (or a machete). The corn field was planted on Feb 1, and had been prepped for fertilization before we arrived. My job was to cover up the fertilizer with soil, which was like concrete.

The two women used the bottlecap as a measure of how much fertilizer to put in each hole, and two other guys and I used the bamboo/machetes to fill in the holes. There were a lot of holes. :o)

I am just really glad I finally got to participate in a field operation! :D Along with my rice-measuring and fertilizer weighing I did last Sunday, I'd say it's been pretty educational.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning/Evening Bryce! I'm at work and just looked at your blog. I'm SOOOO glad you got to get your hands dirty! I don't know about giving you a machete! He!He! Was the weather really hot when you did the fertilization? Hope your classes are going good as well. Have a wonderful week!

Love ya!