Thursday, February 7, 2008

Balut!

Well, last night at small group we had balut afterward. Some of you may not understand why this was such a big deal to me, so here's some background.

I don't think it can be denied that I am a HUGE fan of Survivor. Well, in both the China and Palau seasons, they had to eat balut as an immunity challenge. Last season, Denise (aka waste of space--a complete bore), threw a fit while eating it and couldn't get it down, ruining quite an ingenius plan by the rest of her tribe.

/end dorkiness immediately/

So needless to say, I had to see if it was really that awful.
Balut is a partially developed duck egg that is considered a delicacy here in the Philippines. There are bones, feathers, and even a beak depending how far along it has developed. The black part in the pictures below are feathers...
(click on pictures to zoom in)
Well...I ate two of them! Ha ha, it really doesn't taste that bad. The feathers are a little weird, and I wasn't a huge fan of the cruchiness at times... but for the most part it just tasted sort of like a mix of poultry and egg. I wouldn't make a meal of it, but occasionally its good. :o) There's quite a bit of juice that comes out too, which is sort of nasty...but you're actually just supposed to slurp it out of the egg. HAHA. It sounds so gross, but it's all psychological. If you think about what you're eating, it's awful. But hey, it's just a duck right? ;oD

5 comments:

Katie Wright said...

sicko!!!

Aryn Shillair said...

I'm having a hard time containing my gag reflex...mostly because of the picture with your mouth open!!!
I also have this weird feeling of saddness for the poor baby duck...although I eat the adult version, so I guess I shouldn't really care, right? :)
Have a great time this weekend in Manila. Enjoy your Starbucks. :)

Mel said...

Oh ew.

laura said...

i think i threw up a little in my mouth. and to think that you were excited to eat it??!
and you thought me not cleaning my ears with a q-tip was gross?!?

Abby said...

You were right... I about freaked out when I saw those pictures! You are a much braver soul then I am.