Thursday, January 24, 2008

Trips Galore

The month of February is going to be full of travel for me! I'm pretty excited about it all. My schedule is shaping up like this:
My school trip takes us to Baguio, Ilocos, and Vigan. I was not excited about this at first, but I really am looking forward to the history and just seeing a different part of the country. All of these places are in Northern Luzon (Luzon is the "big island" where I am now.)

Baguio is referred to as "the Summer Capital of the Philippines." It's high in elevation, so it's cooler, and they have PINE TREES! :oD

Ilocos Norte is my professor's hometown, so he's quite proud of it. And from what I've seen, it looks beautiful. Vangie (Frisco and Vangie host our small group) is also from here.

Vigan is described as "the best-preserved example of a planned Spanish colonnial town in Asia." It's a very spanish-looking town, that should be very interesting. I expect we'll be studying the architechture.

"Ohh By George! look, there's three pillars. It MUST be a direct reference to the Holy Trinity! Did you know dat? Now you know it."
-Dr. Z
uhhh... :D

So that's my school trip, and I'm leaving for that late next Thursday night.

For my vacation, I'm going to Bohol for the weekend of February 21-25. Many of the hotels only cost $25-50 a night, so I should be able to do it all for a reasonable price. My plane tickets to and from Tagbilaran should cost less than $100. This map serves as a reference point so you know where I'm going:
Just to reassure you (Mom) that I will be safe. :D As you can tell, I'm pretty excited about all this. I'll hopefully be able to borrow Jason's snorkeling stuff, and I'll definitely make it to the Chocolate Hills and explore the other sites. I'm going to be staying at Alona Beach. Maybe I'll even see some whales or dolphins!

I am glad I'll be getting to see a lot of the Philippines before I go home. I'm a little sad I didn't get to Banaue, but I will have seen a lot of other things. I'll be able to add Baguio, Ilocos, Vigan, Manila, Los Banos, Sabang (Puerto Galera on Mindoro Island), and Bohol to the places I visited while I was here.

[Edit: 9:30PM] The more I think about it, I am going to at least look into getting to Banaue in March before coming home. It's a 9 hour overnight bus ride form Manila, but it's cheap. I could leave on a Thursday and come back Saturday or Sunday. I figure I may never come back here, and if I want to see the Rice Terraces, I should go ahead and see them. I have the money, I'll just have less when I get home. It's a once-in-a lifetime thing I don't really want to miss. I'll keep you posted.

Well, that's all for now. Tomorrow I'm going to try again on the Botanical Gardens...if it's not raining!

2 comments:

Wandering Wolverine said...

Nice!

I can't say what the chances of a Republican being elected president are. I'd say about 30% if the candidate is Barack Obama, and about 50% of it's Hillary. So...if we give Obama and Hillary each about a 50% shot of winning the Democratic primary, probably like 40%. That's my scientific estimate.

Wandering Wolverine said...

Yup, C.J. Lee is Michigan's starting point guard! He's playing well, too. Just...doesn't have the athleticism to keep up with most other Big Ten point guards. But it's kinda cool to see somebody like him be able to play consistently.