Friday, January 4, 2008

Transplanting

Today was a good day. I observed transplanting for the Long Term Continuous Cropping Experiment, and learned a lot! Weatherwise it is close to the best day I've had here. It was party cloudy and maybe 74F with a breeze. And there was less haze then usual, so I could see much further into the mountains than I had before.

Here's some pictures:












They use a long flat board with pegs on the bottom to carve out a grid on the soil surface, and then plant on the corner of each square. The rice is previously planted in a green house, and comes in rolls like you would see with turf. They did the entire one-hectare plot in about 6 hours, so they work quickly. From what I could tell, there were about 50 people out in the field.

I did quite a bit of homework today, so I'm pretty proud of myself. Hopefully this trend will continue, haha. Well, I have a few things I have to get done. I'll post more tomorrow! :D

No comments: