Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Politics

Wow, you'd think the election was next week the way that people are talking about politics these days. I have a bunch of friends who also have blogs, and 2 of them were about politics today.

Even filipinos, and other Asians at IRRI, seem to care about the election. Whenever I have a meal with someone in the cafeteria, they ask me about the debates or the electoral college, or how primaries work, etc. For some reason, they're interested.

It interesting because I think this is the most informed I'm going to be about an election in a long time. Even when I wasn't old enough to vote, I usually tried to at least figure out what the issues were and what the candidates represented. It's just a little weird this year because I'm NOT surrounded and bombarded with it like I would be in the US, and it's actually interesting to me to look into it myself.

I must admit, I'm enjoying finding things out about them this year, completely without the bashing commercials that I know are on TV right now. Of course, I get to look forward to all that when I get home. But I'm pretty sure I've already made up my mind on a candidate, so I can stop listening now, haha.

Thank you John for keeping me informed. I always feel like I get accurate information from you, because you're smart. If you want to read about politics and Michigan sports, check out his blog.

2 comments:

Wandering Wolverine said...

Haha, wow, thanks for the endorsement! I've been enjoying reading your blog, as well.

Wandering Wolverine said...

Oh, the poll...here are some loose definitions:

A social conservative wants stuff like banning gay marriage or abortion.

An economic conservative wants low spending, low taxes, less regulation, and less social programs (like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid).

A military/foreign policy conservative generally wants to keep a strong military and use military action as a possible option in international affairs. They generally support the idea of invading Iraq (if not the actual strategy used).