Thursday, January 17, 2008

A lesson in Church and German history

I haven't posted for a while because I keep telling myself I am going to do another video blog, but when I get a free moment to do one, I either think of something else to do, or I am tired so I go to bed. Maybe tomorrow, haha.

Tonight in my small group, we watched the movie Luther (Dad, I think you'd enjoy this one). It's a biopic of Martin Luther and the beginning of the Reformation. I really need to learn more about the Roman Catholic church. I've been to Mass once in my life, but I still have no idea as to what doctrine is preached, and what their belief system really is.

My entire concept comes from movies like this one, or The Three Musketeers, where the Catholic Church is always portrayed as a corrupt establishment that is eager for nothing but money and power. These make for a great storyline, and I'm sure some of it is true, but there HAS to be more to it than that. I've decided that I'm going to attend a Mass here in the Philippines next week, it should be interesting. It should give me a new cultural experience on top of the new form of worship. I'm just interested in learning more about it all.

What made tonight even more interesting was that Christine (A native German in our small group) had a lot of history to explain parts left out of the movie. It's amazing how intertwined religion and politics were during that period in history!

On a different subject, I'm thinking of scratching my trip to Boracay and going to Bohol instead. I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Aryn Shillair said...

The Catholic Church is kind of how the church started, but unfortunately, like Judeaism, and all sorts of other relgions out there, they started valuing tradition and "revelations" given to the Pope as higher than scripture. That is how you end up with theology like the Holiness of Mary, the Eucharist (literally the bread and wine becomes the blood and body of Christ), Confession ,etc. I have known some Catholic people who are Christians, but it is difficult as the Church tends not to encourage personal Bible study. They want you to receive instruction only from the Church. Just as the Protestant church has many divisions in theology, individual Catholic churches also have differences. But they all receive their instruction and message topics, etc from the Pope. I hope you have a good experience. You probably should not take communion - unless you are part of the church you are not supposed to. We did go to St. Gerards once when we were going to different churches several years ago - do you remember that? I vaguely do.
Hope you're having a good week! Love you, aryn

Aryn Shillair said...

one more thought -
Praise God that we have a High Priest in Jesus that allows us DIRECT ACCESS to God in prayer! :) And praise Him for His inerrant word that supersedes all tradition and personal revelation. We do have an absolute truth that we can always rely on.

Katie Wright said...

catholic church is interesting. not in a bad way, not in a good, but in a LONG way. have fun. it will be great! if it is the kind that i went to your knees will be sore lol. let me know what you think.

ooo and man you should really get on top of the whole posting thing...i mean us more diligent people could get really frustrated with your lack of enthusiasm.

hehehe...

we need to use my wed camera some day...maybe when you are back in the states lol. no bad idea.