Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Have you ever read Jeremiah?

I've been studying for a Physiology exam for the last 4 hours, so I thought I'd take a break and blog!

Part of what I'm doing in my devos right now is reading through Jeremiah, one chapter per day. I was curious about the book because all I knew from it was Jeremiah 29:11, which is read out of context all the time. I knew that the verse spoke to the Jews in exile, but I wanted to know more about the book as a whole.

The verse I'm talking about reads like this:
Jeremiah 29:11 --
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Now, I suppose there's nothing wrong with looking to this verse for comfort. BUT, I am not, and never will be, a Jew in exile. I don't feel like debating Old Testament doctrine right now, haha. One thing that has stood out to me from reading this book (I just read chapter 12 today), is how God's justice is revealed. This is a harsh, BRUTAL piece of literature!!!

I find it interesting that whenever people read this verse, it's when they are going through a tough time. But the Jews were going through a REAL rough time, and it was brought on by themselves. If anyone of you readers have ever doubted God's holiness and justice, because all you hear about is His love, read Jeremiah.

Now, God is a loving God, and this verse proves it because He has an ultimate plan for them. The Jews are God's chosen people, and they're always cycling. God has never let them go though, and he never will. I have just really been impressed through my reading of Jeremiah, because while I've heard about God's wrath from other books, it's just very powerfully spoken.

So those are my thoughts on Jeremiah...

I cannot believe how fast time is going. One week from tomorrow I'll be in Washington, enjoying the snow, good pizza, and time with family! I am so thankful that God has blessed me so much with a great family, a ton of friends, and this incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience! God is good all the time! :oD

2 comments:

Aryn Shillair said...

Thank you Bryce. I appreciate your insights from Scripture. At this one time when we really should be focusing on Christ and enjoying God the most, I'm so stressed out and I haven't had a quiet time in weeks. :( It's like a breath of fresh air to read your insights and thoughts and really makes me want to be in the word myself. Thanks for being a blessing to me and others. :)

Anonymous said...

Your interpretation is right on concerning Israel and God's plans and judgements. I Cor 10:1-11 tells us these are written for an example. That's the Christian application. We are to learn from their mistakes and from seeing how God responds to their mistakes. Jeremiah was a melancholy personality with a tough job.

Dad