Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas Party #100000000000000

They love to celebrate here! I just returned from another Christmas party, the official IRRI party. They went ALL out too! I wish I had brought my camera, because there was some great cultural displays.

Each "cluster" had to make up a production to present, and then they were judged and there was a prize for the winner. Music and dance is very ingrained in Filipino culture. The productions all had music and hip-hop type dancing, but also some traditional dancing as well. The soils group won, which was pretty cool. They did a skit displaying the life cycle of rice, and the obstacles of growth (drought, typhoons, insect pests, rats). It was all people dressed up and stuff. I really wish I would have brought my camera.

Tomorrow I am going to help Jason with his prep work for an experiment. He is working on his master's thesis on sweet sorghum. I'll finish my Christmas shopping tomorrow afternoon. What is everyone else doing?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are experiences of a life time. I'm glad you are experiencing them. See you in a week!

Dad

Aryn Shillair said...

Hi! I'm so excited to see all your pictures when you come.
What time do you think you'll call Sunday? Email my hotmail account and let me know.

Thanks!