Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I had pizza for dinner...I miss little caesars...

It's. Still. Raining.
BUCKETS.

I bought some sandals today so I could stop sloshing around in wet shoes and socks. I just don't understand how this island isn't completely under water! Lucky for me, my dorm room will be on the second floor, so if we have flood, I'll most likely survive. :o) There's 2 options here:
1. It's raining, but cool
2. It's not raining, but blistering hot.

Either way, I'm always wet, whether it's sweat or rainwater doesn't really matter. But at least I don't have to clutch my backpack super tight when it's just hot. My folders and notebooks are not weathering well.

I had a thought today, though, and it made me chuckle. I was debating the whole possibility of a flood today...and it made me think of Noah and what in the world must people have been thinking then? I suppose they had never had rain before, so it was probably pretty confusing. And then I thought about how God promised to never again flood the earth, and it reminded me of His faithfulness. You know, His promise and covenant with Noah. I never had put it into that perspective before. I always thought it was a weird promise-- (Genesis 8:21,22)

"Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.

"As long as the earth endures,
seedtime and harvest,
cold and heat,
summer and winter,
day and night
will never cease."

This sounds bad, but I used to think, "Big deal, Noah was really old anyway, so it's not like he cares if God floods the earth again." But that's not the point is it? God made a promise, and it wasn't just for Noah. It's just a reminder that God is in supreme control, and He always keeps His promises. So now, when it rains, just think about all of God's promises to us. ;o)

It's interesting to me how whenever I get out of my natural element (Lansing), and away from my influences (family, friends, school, anything american), my faith in God is FORCED to increase. I can't coast here, and that is something to rejoice over. Even in the beginning stages, when I wanted to go home, I knew that I couldn't. I knew I needed this. I needed God to make Himself real in my life, to a point where I couldn't miss it. With increased faith, comes increased growth and maturity, and a general understand for God's purposes in my life. So if I'm ever talking with you on AIM or Skype or whatever, and moping and complaining, please remind me of this entry. I might chew you out or tell you to shut up, but I'll take it to heart. :D

WOW, this went long. When I get on my soapbox, you all know I can go for hours. I'm pretty sure a video blog will pop up sometime tomorrow. And people...there's been a significant drop in the comments. Where's the love? =D

3 comments:

Aryn Shillair said...

It so good to hear all that God is teaching you...thanks for sharing all that! And it doesn't rain THAT much in Seattle. :)
I hope you have fun on your trip this weekend!

Katie Wright said...

what...no drop...just thought...hmmm should i comment if i am always talking to him anyway :). i am glad is doing just what you wanted him to do!! oh and as far as reminding you...when i ever i call you paul...you will know ;). have a blessed week ok?

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try and leave a comment and see if it takes. I appreciated hearing how the rain has reminded you of God's faithfulness and protection! His promises are new every morning and He means to keep them.

Keep seeing him in the rain...and in the sonshine! Love, Mom