Monday, November 19, 2007

Character building day

Growing up, Dad had this phrase that I hated...It was one of those things that I knew he was right about, but frankly, I didn't really want to hear it. Well, Dad, it sunk in. Today was a day of "Character building experiences." In other words, this was one of the most challenging days I have had here yet, and I'm sure there are more to come. But lets focus on the positive, and see what I learned...

1. I got up at 5:30 to be ready to go to a farm for my internship. I was really excited. I waited on the side of the road for a half hour, with no one showing up. As it turns out, my supervisor had lost my cell phone number and we didn't go because of the rain...which leads to #2.

2. It rained all day...ALL DAY. and I had to walk all over the place. So I was wet all day.

3. My history class is only taught in Tagalog. I have to drop it, I don't really have a choice. I have 3 days to find a class to substitute for this one, and get course equivalence from MSU.

4. I've hit my head on every awning, jeepney ceiling, umbrella--anything that I could possibly run into.

SO--what did I learn?
1. One of the goals Dad and I have discussed as a result of this trip is DISCIPLINE, being flexible, and rolling with the punches when things are not in my control. These things are a huge struggle for me, and I am learning to cope...slowly...with not being in control.

2. I don't trust God enough. In terms of classes, living situations, and friends, I'm less than patient for things to work out. Part of my morning ritual needs to include not just devos, but surrendering the every-day, ho-hum parts of life.

3. Don't walk with the umbrella so low above my head so I won't crash into thing. ;o) Man I've got a headache....

Some very good things happened today as well:
1. I met another American. He's a vet student named Kirt, and I'm probably going to his apartment on Sunday for a Thanksgiving party.

2. I bought tickets for Christmas in Seattle!!! I'll be with my parents, Aryn, and Tim from December 20-29th. It should be a great break near the middle of my trip, and give me some resting time with my family. Brenda and John, you'll have a GREAT time in Florida, I'm sure! :D

3. I got my laundry back, and it was all DRY!!! :D and ironed...even my socks. Dad, it sounds like that room mate you had at Taylor who used to iron his underwear.

4. I am almost all set for an ID at IRRI, so I can use the gym and the facilities without glares from the security guards!!! This is a good thing...

5. I'm having dinner with Paul and Veronica again (2 of the Filipino exchange students who were at MSU last year).

6. I get smile.fm on streaming radio through the internet...and I know, I usually hate the station, but it's great just to hear Lansing people talking about Lansing things. :D

Sorry for the long post...Have a great Monday!!!

1 comment:

Katie Wright said...

oooo man rough day. i am glad that you took it as a learning experience. no paul in sight here. wait are you trying to kill paul by going on this trip?